Friday 18 January 2013

Handmade How-to; Make a skirt from an old pair of jeans


So, this week I wanted to up-cycle one of several pairs of jeans that I have that I don't really wear and turn them into a wearable wiggle skirt.

What I used:

  • Pair of old Jeans
  • Some scrap fabric- approx 1m x.25m
  • Scissors
  • Sewing Machine and Thread
  • Pins

What I did:

1) I held the jeans up to myself and popped a pin in the leg to mark the desired length.  Don't put them on to do this as the waist will always be higher when the crotch is cut out.  

2)  I cut my jeans at the mark and then folded them in half and cut the other leg.




3) I cut down both legs, ensuring the bulky/folded over part of the seam was intact at the front.  Don't bother trying to unpick the legs- it is hard on the hands and no fun!  I also cut through the crotch and trimmed the crotch away so that the front and back tops of the triangle laid flat.  


4) I placed an oblong piece of contrasting fabric (from the shirt dress I bought the other week) in between the former legs and pinned the seams onto it.  Make sure you don't pin through the back part of the skirt too.  



5) I top stitched the former leg seams onto the fabric, turned the skirt inside out and trimmed down the contrast fabric leaving approx 1cm seam allowance.  


6)  I pinned the back seams together and sewed them too- you may find you have to sew a little higher than the original crotch line (the bit pocking out in the photo) so that the skirt sits properly across your bottom.  


7)  I didn't hem the bottom as I think it looks cool to be a bit frayed.  




Then I found out how hard it is to take a decent picture of yourself wearing a skirt!


Happy Weekend Dear Reader!

Love Alice x




No comments:

Post a Comment